بودكاست التاريخ

هل كان الحصن من الطوب اللبن أم الحصن الحاجز أكثر قابلية للدفاع؟

هل كان الحصن من الطوب اللبن أم الحصن الحاجز أكثر قابلية للدفاع؟

كل شيء آخر متساوٍ ، عندما كانت هذه الأنواع من الحصون قيد الاستخدام ، كان أدوبي حصن أو أ الحاجز حصن أكثر دفاعا؟

قليلا من ماذا إذا أدى إلى هذا السؤال. كان للروس أوستروغس مثل نيجنكامشاتسك وفورت روس حدود حواجز في حين أن الرؤساء الإسبان مثل توباك وسانتا باربرا كانت لديهم محيطات من الطوب اللبن. لم تقاتل الإمبراطوريتان أبدًا (على الأقل في الأمريكتين) على الرغم من أن أقصى حصونهما تقع على بعد حوالي 100 كيلومتر من بعضها البعض. عينة (ليست بالضرورة تمثيلية) الصور التالية:


حصون Adobe هي أكثر قابلية للدفاع. ربما كان أشهرها ألامو. خلال الحرب من أجل استقلال تكساس ، دافع عنها أقل من 200 من تكساس لمدة أسبوعين تقريبًا مقابل احتمالات 10-15 إلى واحد.

كان الحصن الحاجز أساسًا مؤقتًا ضد مجموعات صغيرة نسبيًا من الجنود. كانت عرضة للمدفعية وحتى النيران. أحد هذه الحصون كان حصن واشنطن خلال الثورة الأمريكية ، والذي تم الاستيلاء عليه بفارق 8 إلى 3 في أقل من يوم واحد. وبعد أن تكبد البريطانيون خسائر فادحة في الاقتراب على أرض وعرة ، اخترقوا الجدران من الجانبين ، و "اجتاحوا" المواقع الأمريكية.


هذا هو التاريخ ماذا لو السؤال. وبالمثل يمكنني مقاومة الخرسانة المسلحة بمدفعية +15 سم ومدافع رشاشة تتفوق على كل من الحصون المصنوعة من الطوب اللبن والحصون.

يبني المرء حصنًا بما هو في متناول اليد. في المناطق الجافة التي يمكن أن تكون مبنية من اللبن ، في المزيد من المناطق المشجرة ربما تكون الحواجز. ليس بالضرورة أن يكون أحدهما أفضل من الآخر. هم ما هو متاح. ليس هذا فقط ، فالرجال الذين يدافعون هم من يقومون بهذه المهمة. ناهيك عن قائدهم. القلعة موجودة لمساعدتهم.


التحصينات الأوروبية المبكرة

لم يتم تطوير حصون التل في أوروبا حتى العصر البرونزي ، والتي انتشرت بعد ذلك في جميع أنحاء أوروبا في العصر الحديدي. استخدمت هذه الهياكل أعمال الحفر بدلاً من الحجر كمواد بناء. نجت العديد من أعمال الحفر اليوم ، إلى جانب أدلة على وجود حواجز لمرافقة الخنادق.

في أوروبا ، ظهرت أوبيدا في القرن الثاني قبل الميلاد ، وكانت هذه مستوطنات محصنة مكتظة بالسكان ، مثل opidum of Manching ، وتطورت من حصون التلال.

واجه الرومان مستوطنات محصنة مثل حصون التل وأوبيدا عند توسيع أراضيهم إلى شمال أوروبا. على الرغم من أنها بدائية ، إلا أنها كانت فعالة في كثير من الأحيان ، ولم يتم التغلب عليها إلا باستخدام آلات الحصار وغيرها من تقنيات حرب الحصار. تنوعت تحصينات الرومان (الكاسترا) من الأعمال الترابية المؤقتة البسيطة التي أقامتها الجيوش أثناء تحركها ، لوضع هياكل حجرية دائمة.

قلعة مايدن هي حصن تل من العصر الحديدي على بعد 2.5 كيلومتر (1.6 ميل) جنوب غرب دورشيستر ، في مقاطعة دورست الإنجليزية.

قد يكون اسم قلعة مايدن بناءًا حديثًا بمعنى أن قلعة التل تبدو منيعة ، أو يمكن أن تكون مشتقة من سلتيك ماي دون البريطانية ، مما يعني & quot؛ تل عظيم. & quot

قلعة البكر كما كانت ستبدو


هل كان الحصن من الطوب اللبن أم الحصن الحاجز أكثر قابلية للدفاع؟ - تاريخ

التحديث الأخير: 08 / مايو / 2010 بقلم Pete Payette - 2010 American Forts Network

نقطة بطارية أتكينسون
(1942-1944) ، غرب فانكوفر
تمركز ميداني لبندقية MK1 واحدة ذات 18 مدقة ، تُستخدم كبطارية فحص لدفاع المرفأ. تم تثبيت البندقية لاحقًا على دعامة خرسانية (والتي لا تزال موجودة). يقع الموقع مباشرة جنوب المنارة (تم بناؤه عام 1912) ، بجوار حديقة لايتهاوس بارك ، حديقة المدينة. توجد قاعدة خرسانية لمحطة التحكم في الحرائق / مكتشف المدى غرب المنارة مباشرة. تم وضع كشافين كشافين هنا في عام 1941 ، ولا يزال هناك موضع واحد. لا تزال القوة الخرسانية لكلا الكشافين ، وتقع مباشرة شمال المنارة. لا يزال هناك عدد من الثكنات الخشبية بالقرب من المنارة. لا يوجد وصول عام إلى أي من هذه المباني على أراضي محطة المنارة ، التي تقع خارج الحديقة العامة. كانت محطة Naval Port War Signal Station لميناء فانكوفر تقع أيضًا بالقرب من المنارة.

أول بطارية ضيقة (شمال)
(1939-1944) ، شمال فانكوفر ، فانكوفر
تم وضع بطارية AMTB مؤلفة من بندقيتين سريعتي إطلاق النار من 12 مدقة مؤقتًا في Capilano River Spit. تم نقله إلى "جسر" خرساني من ثلاثة طوابق يقع تحت أرصفة جسر بوابة الليونز. لا يبقى. كما تم وضع ثلاث كشافات هنا. تم وضع مسدس واحد من طراز AA في مكان قريب في Ambleside في عام 1942.

بطارية Siwash Rock
(1914) ، ستانلي بارك ، فانكوفر
تم وضع مدفعين بحريين مقاس 4 بوصات مؤقتًا هنا في الحرب العالمية الأولى. تم وضع مصباح كشاف هنا في وقت لاحق خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية (لا يزال التمركز باقياً).

بطارية ستانلي بارك
(1939-1943) ستانلي بارك ، فانكوفر
تقع في Ferguson Point ، مسلحة في الأصل بمدفعين MK7 بحجم 6 بوصات على حوامل MK2 ، وتم استبدالها لاحقًا بمدفعين 4.7 بوصة. تم استبدال البنادق في عام 1942 بتلك الموجودة في جزيرة يورك. ودُفنت مواقع المدفع في عام 1948. يتميز الموقع بلوحة المدفعية الملكية الكندية. لا تزال المجلة المكونة من طابقين تحت الأرض موجودة ، لكن لا يمكن الوصول إليها للجمهور. لا تزال فوضى الضباط موجودة ، وقد تم دمجها الآن في مطعم Teahouse. تم هدم مركز مراقبة البطارية والمركز الكهربائي في عام 1963. كما تم وضع كشافين كشافين هنا. تم إنشاء الحديقة العامة التي تبلغ مساحتها 1000 فدان في الأصل عام 1888. انظر أيضًا Vancouver Park Board - Stanley Park

نقطة البطارية الرمادية
(1914 ، 1939 - 1950/1968) فانكوفر
يقع في بوينت جراي في جامعة كولومبيا البريطانية الحالية ، متحف الأنثروبولوجيا. في الحرب العالمية الأولى ، تم وضع مدفعين ميدانيين من 60 مدقة هنا. في الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم وضع مدفعين MK7 بحجم 6 بوصات هنا في البداية على حوامل مؤقتة ، وسرعان ما تم استبدالها بثلاثة بنادق MK7 بحجم 6 بوصات على حوامل MK2. يشير أحد المصادر إلى Fort Gray في الحرب العالمية الثانية. تم وضعها في وضع مؤقت عام 1948. في عام 1950 ، تم استخدام الثكنات كمساكن إضافية لطلاب جامعة كولومبيا البريطانية (المعروفة أيضًا باسم "Fort Camp"). تم استخدام Battery OP كمحطة إرسال راديو عسكرية حتى الستينيات. تم نقل المحمية إلى المقاطعة في عام 1968. تم هدم موقع للمدفع ومنطقة التجميع في عام 1973 لبناء المتحف. لا يزال موقعي السلاح الآخرين قائمين في كل طرف من أطراف المتحف. كان مسدس الفحص (1939-1942) عبارة عن مسدس Hotchkiss ذو 6 مدقة. كان هناك مدفع AA مقاس 3.7 بوصة على مسافة من الحصن. كما تم العثور على مدفعين إضافيين من طراز AA في المنطقة. تم وضع كشافين على الشاطئ (لا تزال الأبراج الخرسانية والقوة باقية).

Steveston Battery
(1939 - 1943) ، ستيفستون
تمركز ميداني لبندقيتين من طراز MK1 18 مدقة. تم وضع بطارية AA هنا أيضًا. تم استبدال مدفع واحد 18 مدقة في وقت لاحق بمدفعين 25 مدقة في عام 1943. يقع بالقرب من الضفة الشمالية لمصب الذراع الجنوبية لنهر فريزر ، في نهاية طريق ستيفستون السريع على السد الغربي لجزيرة لولو ، شمال من بلدة.

بطارية باونداري باي
(1942-1945) ، باونداري باي
تم وضع بطارية مضادة للطائرات هنا لحماية المطار العسكري القريب.

ملاحظات: كان موقع قيادة حرائق الحرب العالمية الثانية (1942 - 1944) موجودًا في يوم من الأيام في "وادسلي" (غرب فانكوفر) ، بالقرب من متنزه ماكيكني. تم تحويله لاحقًا إلى بيت ضيافة خاص ، ولكن تم هدمه في عام 2006 أو 2007. تم وضع نقطة مراقبة للبطارية في نقطة Prospect Point ، First Narrows (جنوب). من عام 1943 إلى عام 1945 ، كانت هناك أربعة مواقع إضافية بها أربعة بنادق من طراز AA مقاس 3.7 بوصة ، والتي حلت محل بنادق Bofors 40 ملم التي تم وضعها في عام 1942 ، وتقع في Little Mountain و Lynnmour و Burnaby و Sea Island (مطار فانكوفر الدولي). كانت قاعدة الطائرات المائية التابعة للقوات الجوية الكندية الملكية تقع على شاطئ أريحا ، وهو الآن منتزه المدينة. لا تزال الساحة الخرسانية وثلاثة مبانٍ أصلية للمحطة باقية ، وهي الآن قيد إعادة الاستخدام التكيفي.

تم جمع معلومات فانكوفر من "دافع فانكوفر: تاريخ رجال وبنادق دفاعات البر الرئيسي السفلي ، 1859-1949" بقلم بيتر مووك ، 1978 ، أنطونسون للنشر.

شكر خاص لديفيد مورغان وروبرت زينك من مجموعة دراسة الدفاع عن الساحل لتقديم معلومات عن دفاعات المدفعية الساحلية في كولومبيا البريطانية.
شكرًا أيضًا لـ John Eckersley (CDSG) و Vic Stevenson على التصحيحات والتحديثات.

قلعة Homulchesan الهندية
(تواريخ غير معروفة) ، بالقرب من شمال فانكوفر
كانت هناك قرية هندية ممتلئة ذات يوم موجودة هنا في محمية كابيلانو الحالية. لا يبقى.
(المعلومات مقدمة من مايك كليفان).

فانكوفر بوست
(1889 - 1920) فانكوفر
موقع شركة خليج هدسون. تم استبدال Fort Langley كمستودع HBC الرئيسي. تم بناء أول متجر HBC في المنطقة في عام 1887 في شارع كوردوفا في غاستاون ، وتم إغلاقه في عام 1893. تم أيضًا بناء مستودع HBC الرئيسي في غاستاون في عام 1895 في شارع 321 ووتر ، والذي استخدم على هذا النحو حتى الستينيات (لا يزال موجودًا مثل Hudson House) ). انظر أيضًا تاريخ متجر HBC Vancouver من HBC Heritage

ثكنات وستمنستر الجديدة
(1858 - 1864؟) ، نيو وستمنستر
العاصمة الاستعمارية حتى حلت محلها فيكتوريا في عام 1866. تم إرسال المهندسين الملكيين إلى هنا لتوفير القانون والنظام ضد الانتفاضات التي قادتها الولايات المتحدة وتهديدات الضم بعد اندفاع الذهب عام 1858 في وادي نهر فريزر.
(معلومات إضافية مقدمة من مايك كليفان)

فورت لانجلي (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1827 - 1886/1889) ، فورت لانجلي فورت ويكي
موقع شركة خليج هدسون. الموقع الأصلي يقع أسفل النهر في ديربي في ديربي ريتش ريجينال بارك. تم بناء حصن جديد في عام 1838 في الموقع الجديد ، وتم إصلاحه في عام 1839 بعد اندلاع حريق ، ولكن أعيد بناؤه بالكامل مرة أخرى في عام 1840. ويضم مستودعًا موجودًا عام 1840 ، وأعيد بناؤه في عام 1957 Big House ، والمعقل الشمالي الغربي وأحياء الخدم. في وقت لاحق ، أصبح هذا الحصن مركزًا للتزود بالذهب في عام 1858. تم تفكيك جدار الحاجز في عام 1864. تم إعلان كولومبيا البريطانية كمستعمرة تاج هنا في عام 1858. تم نقل العاصمة الاستعمارية على الفور إلى نيو وستمنستر كموقع أكثر دفاعًا عسكريًا من فورت لانجلي أو الموقع السابق في ديربي. شاهد أيضاً أطفال فورت لانجلي بقلم ليزا بيبان || انظر أيضًا Fort to Fort Trail

فورت هوب (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1848 - 1889/92) ، Hope FORT WIKI
موقع شركة Hudson's Bay Co. (تبدأ تسجيلات HBC في عام 1860). كما تم استخدامه خلال اندفاع الذهب عام 1858 ، عندما تم إنشاء المدينة رسميًا. من الأشياء المهمة في المدينة متحف الأمل ومجمع مركز الزوار في ووتر أفينيو.

فورت ييل
(متحف وموقع ييل التاريخي)
(1848 - 1849 ، 1864 - 1889) ، ييل فورت ويكي
منشور لشركة Hudson's Bay Co. (تغطي سجلات HBC 1864 - 1889). تم التخلي عن الوظيفة الأولى لصالح أفضل موقع Fort Hope. تأسست المدينة رسميًا في عام 1858 أثناء اندفاع الذهب. تتم إدارة منطقة التراث BC هذه من قبل Yale and District Historical Society. شاهد أيضًا مدينة Gold Rush Town of Yale من BC Heritage

وظيفة ماكدوجال
(1861 - غير معروف) ، برينستون
مركز تجارة الفراء.

بريد الضفة الغربية
(1820 - 1860) ، الضفة الغربية
مركز تجارة الفراء.

قلعة ليلويت الهندية
(تواريخ غير معروفة) ، ليلويت
كانت قرية هندية ممتلئة موجودة هنا ذات يوم. لا يبقى.
(المعلومات مقدمة من مايك كليفان).

حصن كاملوبس
(1812 - 1932) كاملوبس فورت ويكي
كان موقع شركة American Pacific Fur Company موجودًا في الأصل هنا في أوائل عام 1812 ، والمعروف أيضًا باسم She-Whaps Post. كان هذا أقصى حد شمالي للمراكز التجارية الأمريكية في إقليم أوريغون القديم. في أكتوبر 1813 ، تم شراؤها ثم التخلي عنها من قبل شركة North West ، التي كانت قد بنت بالفعل موقعًا منافسًا على الجانب الآخر من النهر (Thompson River Post) (أيضًا 1812). استحوذت شركة Hudson's Bay على شركة NWCo. في عام 1822 ، وأعيد بناؤه في أربعينيات القرن التاسع عشر. تم بناء موقع HBC ثانٍ في عام 1861 عبر النهر ليحل محل الأول. توجد نسخة طبق الأصل من منشور HBC الثاني في متحف ومحفوظات كاملوبس في 207 شارع سيمور.

كانت قرية Shuswap الهندية المحببة (التاريخ؟) موجودة هنا مرة واحدة. لا يبقى.

حصن شيبرد
(منطقة محمية Fort Shepherd)
(1857 - 1870) ، بالقرب من تريل
موقع شركة Hudson's Bay Co ، الواقع على الضفة الغربية لنهر كولومبيا على بعد ستة كيلومترات جنوب المدينة ، تم بناؤه ليحل محل Fort Colvile على الجانب الأمريكي من الحدود ، ويخدم تجارة Sinixt الهندية (ومع ذلك ، بقي Fort Colvile في العملية حتى عام 1871). تم إغلاقه لفترة وجيزة في عام 1862. أعيد افتتاحه في عام 1863 أثناء حمى الذهب في Kootenay. يقود Dewdney Trail من Hope إلى Wildhorse عبر Fort Shepherd. احترق الموقع المهجور في عام 1872. وهناك قبة حجرية (1951) تحدد الموقع.

فورت ستيل
(مدينة فورت ستيل التراثية)
(1888 - 1898؟) ، فورت ستيل
كانت المدينة تسمى في الأصل Galbraith's Ferry. تمت إعادة تسميته في عام 1888 مع إنشاء المنصب. كان هذا أول مركز دائم للشرطة على الخيالة الشمالية الغربية غرب جبال روكي. يوجد أكثر من 60 منزلًا ومباني أخرى تم ترميمها في مدينة التاريخ الحي هذه. رسوم الدخول.

كوتيناي بوست (2)
(1860 - 1880) ، بالقرب من روزفيل
موقع تابع لشركة Hudson's Bay منذ فترة طويلة والذي اضطر إلى الانتقال عبر الحدود الدولية التي تم مسحها حديثًا من مونتانا. يُعرف أيضًا باسم John Linklater's Post في هذا الوقت. بعد اكتشاف الذهب في وايلد هورس كريك ، تم نقل الوظيفة إلى جوزيف بريري (1862؟). تم استبداله في النهاية بفورت ستيل. (انظر أيضا MONTANA الصفحة 3)

منزل Kootenae (1) (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1807 - 1808) بالقرب من ويلمر
مركز تجاري لشركة North West يقع شمال بحيرة Windemere. تم نقلها لاحقًا جنوبًا إلى مونتانا الحالية ، وبقيت هناك لعدة عقود حتى أجبرت السياسة HBC على الانتقال شمالًا عبر الحدود الدولية في عام 1860 (انظر أعلاه).

بيفرماوث بوست
(1884 - 1885) ، بالقرب من الميدان
تم إنشاء موقع NWMP مؤقت لمراقبة عصابات السكك الحديدية والحفاظ عليها من خلال Kicking Horse Pass.

معسكر القارب
(1811 - غير معروف) بالقرب من ميكا كريك
موقع شركة نورث ويست على نهر وود بالقرب من مصبه عند نهر كولومبيا (المنطقة الآن مغمورة تحت بحيرة كينباسكيت).

لاك ديوريجنال بوست
(منتزه ماونت روبسون الإقليمي)
(1810؟ - غير معروف) بالقرب من بحيرة موس
موقع شركة North West بالقرب من Yellowhead Pass.

حصن الإسكندرية (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1821-1867) ، الإسكندرية فورت ويكي
تم بناء موقع North West Co قبل فترة وجيزة من الاندماج مع شركة Hudson's Bay (تبدأ سجلات HBC في عام 1824). أعيد بناؤه في عام 1836. يُستخدم بشكل رئيسي كمستودع تخزين للبضائع المتجهة شمالًا من كاملوبس إلى بحيرة ستيوارت وبحيرة فريزر. نشأ في معسكر خيمة كبير خلال اندفاع الذهب 1858-1862. كانت العديد من المباني لا تزال قائمة بعد عام 1881 حتى هُدمت في عام 1915.

حصن شيلكوتين
(1829 - 1844) ، بالقرب من ريدستون
موقع شركة Hudson's Bay Co. (تغطي سجلات HBC 1837 - 1840) ، يقع فوق ملتقى نهري Chilcotin و Chilko. لم يدعم الهنود Tsilhqot'in عمومًا الوظيفة (كانوا معروفين بفرقة غير متعاونة وتشبه الحرب).
(المعلومات مقدمة من جيم رايت)

كويسنيل بوست
(1864 - 1904) كويسنيل
موقع شركة خليج هدسون.

باركرفيل بوست
(1851 - 1884) ، باركرفيل
موقع شركة خليج هدسون.

حصن كلوسكوس
(1844 - غير معروف) بالقرب من نازكو
موقع شركة Hudson's Bay الذي حل محل Fort Chilcotin. تقع في بحيرات Kluskus غرب المدينة. لم ينجح هذا المنشور أيضًا بسبب اللامبالاة الهندية.

فورت إسينجتون
(1835 - غير معروف) بالقرب من بيلا كولا؟
موقع شركة Hudson's Bay على نهر Bella Coola ، وفقًا لـ "الأطلس الوطني لكندا" (1974).

محطة رادار Spider Island
(1943 - 1945) جزيرة العنكبوت
يوجد رادار للدفاع الجوي للإنذار المبكر منخفض RCAF Chain Home هنا ، جنوب Bella Bella عند المدخل الجنوبي لـ Queens Sound ، داخل منطقة Hakai Luxvbalis Conservancy الحالية.

دفاعات بيلا بيلا الحرب العالمية الثانية
(1940) ، بيلا بيلا
تم وضع بطارية AMTB بمدفعين مقاس 75 مم وبطارية AA هنا لحماية قاعدة الطائرات المائية العسكرية.

فورت ماكلوغلين
(1833 - 1843/1882) ، جزيرة كامبل فورت ويكي
موقع شركة Hudson's Bay داخل Milbanke Sound. الموقع الدقيق غير محدد ، ربما على الجانب الشمالي الشرقي للجزيرة بالقرب من Old Bella Bella (Waglisla). يُعرف أيضًا باسم Bella Bella Post. مهجور في حصن فيكتوريا ، على الرغم من أن الموقع كان لا يزال يستخدم بشكل متقطع حتى عام 1882.

بحاجة الى مزيد من المعلومات:
المدن: Little Fort on the Thompson River ، جنوب كليرووتر.


الأصل Presidio San Agustín del Tucson

في صباح 20 أغسطس 1775 الدافئ والرطب ، تم إنشاء Tucson Presidio من قبل الجيش الإسباني العادي المقدم Hugo O & # 8217Conor. O & # 8217Conor ، من أصل أيرلندي ، كان المفتش العام وصنع لنفسه اسمًا على حدود إسبانيا الجديدة. ربما بدأ بناء الحصن في أكتوبر التالي. تحركت حامية توباك وعائلاتها شمالًا في أواخر أكتوبر عام 1776 محتلة السواتر الترابية والسور الذي كان يمثل حصن توكسون. تم كتابة المراسلات الأولى من توكسون بواسطة العقيد خوان باوتيستا دي أنزا في نوفمبر 1776.

الصورة أعلاه هي واحدة من عدد قليل جدًا من الرسومات التاريخية الحالية التي تُظهر Presidio San Agustín del Tucson الأصلي. يمكننا أن نرى الناس يزورون الخارج ويتجمع المزيد من الناس في الكنيسة الصغيرة.

كان الحصن صغيرًا وسيئ البناء. في عام 1782 ، بعد هجوم أباتشي كبير ، تم بناء جدار من الطوب اللبن بارتفاع 8 إلى 12 قدمًا بطول 700 قدم تقريبًا على كل جانب. تم تحسين المنشور باستمرار حتى وصل إلى الحد الأقصى لحجمه البالغ 11 فدانًا تقريبًا. تقع الأرض المحاطة بهذه الجدران في ما هو الآن وسط مدينة توكسون ، داخل شوارع الكنيسة وواشنطن والكونغرس تقريبًا ، وحتى ضفاف نهر سانتا كروز (الذي كان يتدفق في ذلك الوقت).

تمت صياغة هذه الخريطة ، المستندة إلى خريطة سانبورن للتأمين ضد الحريق لعام 1883 ، في الأربعينيات من القرن الماضي.

تمت صياغة هذه الخريطة ، المستندة إلى خريطة سانبورن للتأمين ضد الحريق لعام 1883 ، في الأربعينيات من القرن الماضي. الخطوط الحمراء لمكان وجود جدران Presidio الأصلية ، بحلول هذا الوقت كانت مدفونة في الغالب بواسطة بناء أحدث.

في عام 1821 ، قبلت إسبانيا استقلال المكسيك بعد 11 عامًا من الصراع. بالنسبة لسكان Tucson Presidio ، لم تتغير الحياة كثيرًا. لم يصل الجيش المكسيكي منذ بضع سنوات ، وعندما وصل ذلك ، تم إزالة العلم الإسباني ورفع العلم المكسيكي.

ظل Presidio قيد الاستخدام كحصن وقائي حتى دخل الأمريكيون توكسون في مارس 1856. بحلول ذلك الوقت ، كان السكان مهتمين بالمباني الأحدث والطوب من Presidio الذي تم أخذ واستخدامه.
يقع متجر الهدايا وغرف المعارض Presidio Museum اليوم في Siqueiros-Jacome House ، الذي تم تشييده في ستينيات وسبعينيات القرن التاسع عشر. تم استخراج التربة اللازمة لصنع الطوب اللبن من حفرة كبيرة في الفناء الخلفي.

تم هدم آخر جزء ثابت من الجدار في عام 1918. تم وضع علامة على موقع جدار Presidio الأصلي اليوم في أرصفة Tucson & # 8217s ، وهو يوضح مدى اتساع الحصن.

تقع إعادة الإعمار اليوم في موقع الزاوية الشمالية الشرقية للقلعة. تُظهر العلامات على الأرض موقع الجدران ، مع إزاحة الجدران الجديدة للحفاظ على أسس الطوب اللبن الأصلية.


جنوب أونتاريو (شرق)

مشاركة باي دي كينت
(1720 - غير معروف) ، مكان الحمل
مركز تجاري فرنسي. تم تحويل الاسم الهندي "كنت" لاحقًا إلى "كوينت" من قبل المستوطنين الموالين في ثمانينيات القرن الثامن عشر الميلادي.

انظر أيضًا مكان حمل خليج كوينتي (الموقع التاريخي الوطني) علامة تاريخية والسجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية

فورت كينت
(1812 - 1815) مكان الحمل
تم بناء مبنى خشبي هنا في عام 1990 ، ولكن في عام 2000 ، بسبب نزاع على الملكية ، تم نقله إلى أراضي متحف مارينرز بارك في ساوث باي.

أمهيرست آيلاند بلوك هاوس
(1839 - غير معروف) ، جزيرة أمهيرست
كان هناك مبنى محصن هنا ، تم بناؤه ردًا على تمرد باتريوتس 1837-38.

Fort Frontenac (الموقع التاريخي الوطني)
(1673 - حتى الآن) FORT WIKI
حصن خشبي فرنسي كان يسمى في الأصل حصن كاتاراكي. تمت إعادة تسميته وإعادة بنائه بالحجر في عام 1675. كان لدى الفرنسيين ثلاث بطاريات أرضية خارجية في 1755 - 1758. تم التخلي عنها للبريطانيين. استولى البريطانيون على الحصن ودمروه في أغسطس 1758 ، مستخدمين أحد الأعمال الخارجية الفرنسية كبطارية بثلاث مسدسات ، وأيضًا بناء بطارية إضافية ذات مسدسين. قام البريطانيون بتوسيع القلعة وإعادة بنائها في عام 1783. وأعيدت تسميتها إلى ثكنات تي دي بونت في عام 1789. تم بناء المركز الحالي من 1819 - 1824. مقر الضباط (1827) ، يضم ثكنات الرجال (1827) ، قاعة الطعام / لا تزال الثكنات (1847) ، ومخزن المفوضية (1820) موجودة ، بالإضافة إلى العديد من المباني الحديثة التي شُيدت لتكرار العمارة القديمة. تم التنقيب جزئيًا عن أنقاض الأساس للقلعة الفرنسية الأصلية في شارع أونتاريو وميدان أرمز ، وكذلك في وسط الحديقة للمجمع الجديد. تمت إعادة تسمية المنشور الجديد مرة أخرى في عام 1939 إلى الاسم الفرنسي الأصلي. وهي الآن موطن لكلية قيادة وأركان الجيش الكندي ، منذ عام 1947. انظر أيضًا علامة تاريخية

فورت هنري (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1812-1891) فورت ويكي
تم بناء الحصن الثاني في موقع الأول (حصن خشبي) خلال الفترة 1832-1837. تم بناء برجين صغيرين من طراز مارتيلو على جانبي الخنادق المحيطة في عام 1846. غادر البريطانيون في عام 1870 ، وأدار الحصن من قبل الميليشيا الكندية حتى عام 1891 ، باسم المدرسة الكندية للمدفعية. تم التخلي عنه لاحقًا وأصبح متحفًا في عام 1938 بعد ترميمه. خلال الحرب العالمية الأولى ، تم استخدامه كمعسكر للسجناء السياسيين ، وخلال الحرب العالمية الثانية تم استخدامه كمعسكر لأسرى الحرب للألمان. هذا هو أكبر حصن حجري في كندا غرب مدينة كويبك. أعيد إلى مظهره في عام 1860. رسوم الدخول. راجع أيضًا العلامة التاريخية # 1 || علامة تاريخية # 2

كينغستون بلوك هاوس
(1812 - 1815)
تم بناء ستة حواجز على طول الخط المطلي على الجانب الغربي من المستوطنة الأصلية. كانت لا تزال موجودة حتى حوالي عام 1900. يقع Blockhouse # 1 في شوارع Gore و Ontario Street # 2 في Wellington و West Streets # 3 (مع البطارية) في West و Sydenham Streets # 4 (مع البطارية) في Princess and Clergy Streets # 5 (مع battery) بالقرب من شوارع سيدنهام ونورث وكان هناك مبنى صغير في شارع ويست وأونتاريو. كما تم وضع بطاريتي مدفع على طول الحاجز في شارعي سيدنهام وويليام وفي شارعي سيدنهام وأوردنانس. كانت الثكنات موجودة خلف البطارية في شوارع سيدنهام وويليام وأيضًا في Artillery Park ، الواقع في شارعي Barrack و Bagot. غادرت آخر الوحدات البريطانية ثكنات Artillery Park في عام 1871. في جزيرة Snake ، على بعد حوالي سبعة أميال جنوب غرب ، كانت Snake Island Blockhouse (1813 - 1815) وبطارية من مسدس واحد. تم التخطيط لاحقًا لبرج مارتيلو لهذا الموقع ، لكن لم يتم بناؤه أبدًا. انظر أيضا Kingston Militia Garrison 1837-38 التاريخي

بطارية السوق
(1820؟ - 1840؟)
بطارية مدفع كبيرة تدافع عن المرفأ ضد الأمريكيين. تم هدمه في عام 1885. كان يقع في شارع برينسيس وشارع أونتاريو ، بالقرب من مجلس المدينة. تم استبداله ببرج Shoal Martello.

بطارية نقطة Missisagua
(1812 - غير معروف)
بطارية مدفع كبيرة تدافع عن المرفأ ضد الأمريكيين ، وتقع في نهاية شارع جور.

برج مورني مارتيلو (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1846 - 1890) حصن ويكي
يقع في شارع كينج ، بمحاذاة الواجهة البحرية في ماكدونالد بارك. تم استخدامه في المقام الأول كثكنات بعد عام 1849 ، ولم يكن مسلحة بالكامل حتى عام 1862. تم تشغيله كمتحف منذ عام 1925 من قبل جمعية كينغستون التاريخية. رسوم الدخول. انظر أيضًا السجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية ، الإدخال # 2 || علامة تاريخية

يقع Murney's Point Blockhouse ، وهو عبارة عن مبنى خشبي به بطارية أرضية ، هنا في عام 1812.

حصن فريدريك
(الموقع التاريخي الوطني لمباني بوينت فريدريك)
(الكلية العسكرية الملكية في كندا)
(1813 - 1870 / الآن) حصن ويكي
يقع على أراضي الكلية العسكرية الملكية الكندية ، التي تأسست عام 1876. يقع متحف الكلية العسكرية الملكية في برج مارتيلو (1846). تم هدم الحصن السابق (مبنى خشبي به بطارية حجرية) في عام 1846 ، ولا يزال جزء من قاعدة البطارية الحجرية مرئيًا. كان حوض بناء السفن Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard موجودًا هنا على Navy Bay من 1792 إلى 1852. تم إنشاء المستودع البحري البحري الإقليمي لأول مرة هنا في عام 1789. تم بناء Point Frederick Blockhouse في عام 1791 لحمايته. كان مقر إقامة قيادة RMC هو مستشفى البحرية الملكية السابق ، الذي تم بناؤه عام 1814. وتشمل المباني / المباني التاريخية الأخرى في Point Frederick (1846) ، ومجلة (1846) ، و "Stone Frigate" (1820) ، والبحرية الملكية مخزن وثكنات.

أبراج كينجستون مارتيلو (موقع تاريخي وطني)؟
(1846 - 1870؟ أو 1890؟)
شُيدت أبراج مدافع الماسونية بين عامي 1846 و 1848. وتم بناء أربعة أبراج من طراز Martello في برجي كينغستون المورني وفورت فريدريك. (مدرج بشكل منفصل أعلاه)، زائد برج فيكتوريا (الملقب ب برج شول) في Flora MacDonald Marina (المعروف أيضًا باسم حوض الاتحاد) (FORT WIKI) و كاثكارت ريدوبت (الملقب ب برج جزيرة سيدار) بالقرب من Fort Henry. (FORT WIKI) هذان البرجان غير متاحين لعامة الناس. تمثل أبراج كينغستون الأربعة ذروة تصميم برج مارتيلو في أمريكا الشمالية ، قبل ظهور المدفعية البنادق التي جعلتها قديمة.

ملاحظات: دفاعات كينغستون المخطط لها أصلاً كانت ستة حصون وخمسة أبراج مارتيلو في عام 1829. نظرًا لقيود الميزانية ، تم بناء حصن هنري واثنان فقط من الأبراج الأصلية (مورني وجزيرة سيدار). تمت إضافة برجين آخرين في وقت لاحق إلى المخطط الأصلي (Shoal و Fort Frederick).

أيضا من الاهتمام بالمنطقة متحف الجيش الكندي للاتصالات العسكرية والإلكترونيات ، الواقع شرق المدينة في CFB Kingston ، في 95 Craftsman Blvd. (الطريق السريع الإقليمي 2).

مشاركة بيرس
(1677 - غير معروف) بالقرب من ركن الرموز؟
موقع تجاري فرنسي يقع على نهر كاتاراكي.

Kingston Mills Blockhouse
(1832 - 1870؟) ركن الرموز
واحد من أربعة حصون تم بناؤها لحماية قناة ريدو ، وهو ممر مائي عسكري مخصص كبديل لنهر سانت لورانس في حالة الهجوم الأمريكي. تم ترميم المبنى في عام 1967. انظر أيضًا السجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية

Newboro Blockhouse
(1832 - 1870؟) ، نيوبورو
أحد المجمعات الأربعة التي تم بناؤها على قناة ريدو. أعيد بناؤه في عام 1888 ، لتعديل الهيكل على نطاق واسع. تم تجديده وإعادته إلى شكله الأصلي. انظر أيضًا السجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية

Upper Narrows Blockhouse
(1832 - 1870؟) بالقرب من نيوبورو
أحد المجمعات السكنية الأربعة التي تم بناؤها لحماية قناة ريدو. تم ترميمه في عام 1968. انظر أيضًا السجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية

Merrickville Blockhouse (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1832 - 1870؟) ، ميريكفيل
أكبر أربع كتل كانت تقع على قناة ريدو. حامية من قبل الميليشيا في 1837 - 1838. تم ترميمه في عام 1965 كمتحف من قبل Merrickville and District Historical Society. انظر أيضًا السجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية ، إدخال رقم 2 || علامة تاريخية # 1 || علامة تاريخية # 2

رابيدز بلوك هاوس في بوريتس
(1832) ، بوريتس رابيدز
تم البدء في بناء مبنى هنا ، لكن البناء توقف. تم توج الطبقة الحجرية الأولى بسقف خشبي في عام 1836. تم بناء هيكل من طابقين على الأساس في عام 1915. تم هدم الهيكل الأصلي في عام 1969 واستبداله بالمحطة الحالية.

Bytown Commissariat House
(1827 - 1927) ، أوتاوا
تم بناؤه واستخدامه من قبل المهندسين الملكيين كمخزن ومستودع أثناء بناء قناة ريدو. بعد عام 1856 تم استخدام المبنى للتخزين العسكري. يضم الآن متحف Bytown (منذ عام 1952). كان هناك حصن كبير مخطط له في نهاية Bytown (أوتاوا) لقناة ريدو ، لكن لم يتم بناؤه أبدًا. كان مكتب المهندسين الملكيين يقع مقابل القناة من دار المندوبية. كان مشابهًا في البناء ، وتم تفكيكه في عام 1928. لا يزال الأساس مرئيًا بالقرب من الأقفال. كانت توجد ثكنات ومستشفى لعمال القناة والجنود في باراكس هيل حتى عام 1859 ، وهو الآن موقع مجمع البرلمان الكندي. تم تغيير اسم Bytown إلى أوتاوا في عام 1855. انظر أيضًا السجل الكندي للأماكن التاريخية
انظر أيضًا Rideau Canal Ottawa Lockstations by Ken Watson

ملاحظات: كان هناك 12 محطة قفل حجرية أخرى "قابلة للدفاع عنها" تم بناؤها على طول القناة من 1838 إلى 1842. ولا يزال معظمها موجودًا. تم نقل ملكية القناة من إدارة الذخائر البريطانية إلى مقاطعة كندا العليا في عام 1856.

بلوك هاوس جانانوك
(1813 - 1859) ، جانانوك
حصن به حاجز خشبي مثمن الأضلاع بخمس مسدسات. تم التخلي عنها لاحقًا وبيعها إلى مالك أرض خاص. علامة تاريخية

جسر جزيرة الحصن
(1814 - 1815) بالقرب من مالوريتاون لاندينج
حصن مع بندقيتين وبطارية دائرية بمسدس واحد. توجد علامة في Mallorytown Landing. كانت هذه الجزيرة مكانًا للتوقف بين Brockville و Gananoque.

بروكفيل بلوك هاوس
(1839 - 1850) ، بروكفيل
تم وضع منزل خشبي في Blockhouse Island (المعروف أيضًا باسم Refuge Island أو Grant's Island) نتيجة لتمرد Patriots 'من 1837-1838. تم تدميرها في عام 1860 بعد انضمام الجزيرة إلى البر الرئيسي لمشروع سكة ​​حديد.

حوض بناء السفن Pointe au Baril
(1758 - 1759) ، بالقرب من ميتلاند
حوض بناء السفن الفرنسي المحصن أنشئ بعد سقوط واستيلاء فورت فرونتيناك في أغسطس 1758 على البريطانيين. الفناء الصغير كان محميًا بأعمال الحفر والسور. تم إطلاق سفينتين صغيرتين هنا في عام 1759 ، ولكن تم التخلي عن الموقع جنبًا إلى جنب مع Fort La Pr sentation (نيويورك) في أغسطس 1759 ، وتم نقل الحامية والإمدادات إلى Fort L vis في جزيرة Chimney Island (انظر أيضًا صفحة 9 في نيويورك) ). تقع على بعد حوالي 5.5 ميل من المنبع (جنوب غرب) من Ogdensburg ، نيويورك.

مركز لا جاليت للتجارة
(1682؟ - غير معروف) ، بريسكوت
موقع تجاري فرنسي صغير. تم التخلي عنها وأعيد احتلالها عدة مرات. غالبًا ما تم تطبيق هذا الاسم على إرسال Fort La Pr على نهر سانت لورانس في Ogdensburg ، نيويورك.

فورت ويلينجتون (موقع تاريخي وطني)
(1813 - 1869/1923) ، بريسكوت فورت ويكي
كان الحصن في الأصل حصنًا لأعمال الحفر ، وبه بطارية بجوار النهر ، في 1813 - 1815. تم بناء الحصن الثاني (1837) على أنقاض الحصن الأول. هناك ثلاثة مبانٍ أصلية محاطة بالأعمال الترابية والحاجز والخندق الجاف. هناك حصن حجري ، ومساكن للضباط ومرحاض مرمم. بعد عام 1869 ، تم استخدام الحصن كمستودع عسكري إقليمي ومعسكر تدريب متقطع للميليشيات. رسوم الدخول. في أغسطس 2011 ، تم نقل زورق حربي بريطاني تم الحفاظ عليه من عام 1817 (ربما يكون HMS Radcliff) من حديقة سانت لورانس الوطنية في مالوريتاون لاندينج ، حيث تم عرضه منذ عام 1967 ، وتم بناء مركز زوار جديد لعرض السفينة ، وافتتح في مايو 2012. راجع أيضًا تاريخ فورت ويلينجتون بقلم روبرت ب. ستيوارت || فورت ويلينجتون في حرب عام 1812 بواسطة روبرت هندرسون
علامة تاريخية # 1 || علامة تاريخية # 2

بالقرب من 356 East Street يوجد Prescott Barracks (1810-1818) ، وهو في الأصل مسكن محصن للعقيد إدوارد جيسوب. كما تم استخدامه كمستشفى حامية في فورت ويلينجتون بعد عام 1814. وهو أقدم هيكل عسكري أصلي موجود في أونتاريو. تم تشغيله كمطعم ومتحف بطابع تاريخي من عام 1990 إلى عام 2001 (الوضع الحالي ؟؟).
علامة تاريخية

بالقرب من Windmill Point توجد Battle of the Windmill NHS (نوفمبر 1838). تم استخدام الطاحونة الحجرية كمراقب عسكري حتى عام 1840 (Windmill Point Lookout) ، وأعيد بناؤها لاحقًا كمنارة في عام 1874 ، وكانت قيد الاستخدام حتى عام 1975. رسوم الدخول.

بلوك هاوس بوينت إيروكوا
(1812 - 1815) بالقرب من إيروكوا
Two redoubts with blockhouses, and a detached river battery, were started here, but were never finished before the War of 1812 ended. In 1812 the first British fort on the point had not been completed, or named. A second fort was built on the riverbank in 1814, but U.S. troops did not attack, so the fort was nicknamed " Fort Needless ".

The town of Iroquois was the largest residential and business community along the St. Lawrence River to be entirely relocated during construction of the St. Lawrence Deep Waterway during the early 1950's. Its original location was across the Galop Canal from Iroquois Point, a headland famous in legend and history as a camping ground of the Iroquois. The point's proximity to the Canadian-U.S. mid-river boundary line caused it to be selected as the Canadian terminus of the international dam built to control water levels for the waterway. A new canal, cut through the headland to avoid the dam, turned Iroquois Point into a small island. The relocated town of Iroquois is north of the original site. United Empire Loyalists settled the place in 1776. The post office, established in 1789, was called Matilda after the township. In 1856 the post office name was changed to Iroquois .

Nearby, east of Morrisburg , is the Battle of Chrysler's Farm NHS historic marker (November 1813).

Cornwall Blockhouse
(1815), Cornwall
A blockhouse/barracks with a four-gun shore battery which was never finished. Located near French Point.
See also Cornwall and the War of 1812 from City of Cornwall

Raisin River Blockhouse
(1813 - 1815), Lancaster
A blockhouse and two-gun battery protected the road and bridge crossing the river. It was accidently burned down after the war.

Lac d'Orignal Post
(1842 - unknown), L'Orignal
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Ottawa River (Rivi re des Outaouais).

Post des Outaouais
(1613 - unknown), Ottawa
An early French trade post on the Ottawa River (Rivi re des Outaouais).

Bonne Chere River Post
(1825 - unknown), near Castleford
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Bonnechere River.

Matawashka Post
(1827 - unknown), near Matawatchan ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Madawaska River.

Tomississippi Post
(1827 - unknown), near Cloyne ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the headwaters of the Mississippi River, also near the headwaters of the Skootamatta River.

Fort Stewart
(unknown dates), Fort Stewart
No data. Located in northern Hastings County.

Camp Petawawa
(Canadian Forces Base Petawawa)
(1905 - present), near Petawawa
Founded in 1905, the base was created by the Department of Militia and Defence upon the purchase of 22,430 acres (90.8 km2) of mostly agricultural property from local residents. The Royal Canadian Horse and Garrison Artillery from Kingston were the first to train here during the summer of 1905. In 1906 the Royal Canadian Engineers constructed huts, stables and installed water and gas systems. By 1907 combined training and tactical exercises were conducted by various other units such as the Royal Canadian Dragoons, the Royal Canadian Regiment, and units from the Medical and Ordnance Corps. The first military aircraft flight in Canada took place at Petawawa on July 31, 1909 when J.A.D. McCurdy and F.W. Baldwin flew the "Silver Dart" in the presence of military observers. From December 1914 to May 1916 the camp was used as an internment camp for 750 German and Austrian POWs. At the same time the Canada Car and Foundry Company had developed three inch shells and were being tested at the camp by Russian artillery. From May 1916 to 1918, over 10,700 Canadian troops were trained here before being sent overseas.
During World War II, three training centres (two artillery and one engineering) were established. In September 1942 about 12,500 troops were stationed on the base. The peak load was reached during 1943 when approximately 20,000 troops were undergoing training at one time. Petawawa was also the site of Internment Camp No. 33 located at Centre Lake it held 645 civilian internees. There were 28 different nationalities, the majority being Germans.
In 1947 the training of militia and regular units of the Canadian Army resumed. Upon being given the status of a permanent camp, it was officially designated "Camp Petawawa" in May 1951. The unification of the Canadian Forces resulted in Camp Petawawa being renamed Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Petawawa in 1968.

Joachim Post
(1851 - unknown), near Rolphton
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Ottawa River at the Des Joachims Rapids.

ALSO OF INTEREST: Located just west of Ottawa at Carp is the Diefenbunker - Central Emergency Government Headquarters (NHS), built in 1959-61 to protect high-level government and military leaders during the Cold War. Decomissioned in 1994, now open to the public as the Canadian Cold War Museum. See also Canadian Register of Historic Places

NEED MORE INFO:
Towns / Villages: Fort Stewart in northern Hastings County.


Fort Ross rich with historical, cultural significance

Sitting here, watching the impossible happen all around, I have Fort Ross on my mind.

The news is that the state will "close" Annadel (however THAT could be accomplished!) as well as General Vallejo's old "Castle in the Wilderness," the Petaluma Adobe. It's hard not to be fearful that the oldest and most important historical site north of San Francisco Bay may well be next.

The fate of the Russian fort has been a concern most of the summer. There's even been a couple of Fort Ross "jokes," if you can call them that, like the comment made by a friend whose pragmatism outweighs her sense of history. "If they close Fort Ross," she says, "We will lose the best free restroom stop between Jenner and Sea Ranch."

That's one way to look at it.

In a more serious vein, historians from at least two nations look at it as a cultural imperative.

They believe that Fort Ross Historic Park is far too important to close. And the fact that it appears to be on the short list (whatever and wherever that "list" is) means that "saving" Fort Ross - that is keeping it open - has become a cause c??re.

I know that California's parks, particularly its historic parks, are all unique. But Fort Ross' importance reaches way beyond Sonoma County and even California's history.

This southernmost outpost of Imperial Russia, dating back two centuries - the earliest north of San Francisco Bay - has been telling its remarkable stories to visitors since 1903, when the state took possession of its weathered buildings, even then nearly 100 years old.

The stories from the Russian years at Bodega Bay and Fort Ross (1809-1841) involve a cadre of botanists, naturalists, agronomists, archeologists, artists and even a future saint.

Robin Joy, the park's interpretive specialist who has spent more than a decade on the staff, describes her reaction to the threatened closure list as "in shock."

Joy has her own list, reciting with pride all the factors that make Fort Ross stand out from every other park on the North Coast: Its status as a national monument and as the only Russian settlement in the contiguous United States the continuous stream of foreign visitors, including Russians and native Alaskans with Kashia Pomo descendants its place as the site of the first windmill, the first glass windows, the first European varietal grapevines, the earliest shipbuilding and the botanical "discovery" of the California poppy.

It also was home to the lengthy stay of a Russian priest who would become St. Innocent in the Orthodox Church the archeology project of the University of California untold numbers of school overnights, and for the kids' part - far and away the finest cannon presentation in the state.

Her list is long. It's no wonder the possibility of closure has caught the attention of the Russians, prompting a visit from the Russian ambassador in late August and a letter to the governor setting forth the official interest of that nation.

RTR Planet, a Russian international television and radio broadcasting service, last week visited the fort to alert the 75 percent of urban Russians it claims as viewers and listeners to the threat. The Fort Ross visit will be broadcast on the Russian channel today.

Joy, along with the many volunteers who are members of the extremely active Fort Ross Interpretive Association, are hoping that Russian businesses and individuals will support the association's contingency plan. They hope to keep the visitors' center open, the artifacts protected and the necessary support systems, like lights and water (and those precious restrooms) in place, should worse come to worst.

The idea that "foreign aid to California may be necessary is embarrassing," Joy said.

The importance of Fort Ross to Sonoma County's billion-dollar tourist industry cannot be overlooked. A study by the Fort Ross association showed that each visitor to the fort leaves $67 in tourist income with county businesses.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN fascinated by the global - or at least, western hemispheric - view of Fort Ross. It played an important role in the "China Trade," the circle of North Pacific commerce around the turn of the 19th century that sent ships from Britain, France, Russia and the United States on trade routes that included China, Japan, the Hawaiian islands, Alaska and Russia and, by way of Fort Ross, the reluctant Spanish, who claimed all of California.

All were hunting precious sea otter furs. (The Spanish considered all foreign ships pirates, having declared California off limits to foreign trade, but their defenses were weak, and many of the fur traders were smugglers as well.)

When the first Russian emissary, Nikolai Resanov, sailed into San Francisco Bay in 1806, the Presidio there was the northernmost outpost of Spanish California.

Resanov was a favorite of Empress Catherine the Great who saw him as a kind of missionary to bring the "Russian Way" to the savages of North America.

At the time, Russia had a toehold, little more, on the continent with a tenuous settlement on Kodiak Island (Sitka), a trading post of the Russian American Fur Trading Company. The post was important to a trade in which otter pelts were highly valued by the Chinese, but it was a long, long way from Russia and in dire straits in 1806. Supply ships either were not dispatched or sank. There was no agriculture and people were dying of scurvy for want of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Ironically, it was an American, Joseph O'Cain, captain of the Enterprise, who kept Sitka alive, bringing supplies and striking a deal to take Aleuts to hunt otter in exchange for furs.

The year that Resanov came to California to look for agricultural land as well as an otter hunting port was something like a year of destiny in the North Pacific. The British fur trader Alexander MacKenzie had reached the Pacific Coast of Canada a dozen years earlier and Americans Lewis & Clark were nearing the mouth of the Columbia River. Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia, the first U.S. settlement on the West Coast, would not be established by John Jacob Astor's fur trading company until 1811.

Unaware that a subtle shift in the power of nations along the Pacific Coast was under way, Resanov came to sweet-talk the Spanish into selling land on San Francisco Bay to the Russians. Needless to say, the effort failed, but the scant military might at the Presidio - legend has it that the Spanish fort had three cannon and two wouldn't fire, and that in order to fire a diplomatic salute to the Russian ship, the commandant had to borrow powder from his visitors - was a clue that the area north of the bay was indefensible,

So, despite the Spanish refusal to deal with Resanov, the direct result of his visit to San Francisco was the establishment of Fort Ross.

In 1809, another Russian ship, captained by a peg-legged adventurer named Ivan Kuskov, dropped anchor in Bodega Bay, which he named Rumiatsev. He built a shanty town and spent a year exploring for a permanent site. Kuskov's arrival signaled the end of the North Coast's "ancient history" and the beginning of the European incursion

Kuskov's scouting parties chose a site on a rocky promontory seven miles north of the river the Russians named Slavianka, meaning "little Slavic maiden." The site was defensible from three sides, the idea being that the farming would take place at three inland sites, which were eventually established on the river (using American geography) at the mouth of Willow Creek, at Bodega and in Green Valley.

In 1812, when the building project began, there were 25 Russians, about 100 Aleut otter hunters and several "kanakas" - Hawaiian men - at the outpost. By its peak, with the inland farms operative, which was about 1822, Joy estimates that there were 246 people living in and near Fort Ross - more, she points out, than San Francisco at that time.

The Russians stayed 29 years, during which the Spanish (and later, after a war of independence, Mexicans) scrambled to explore and settle their Frontera del Norte to curb Russian expansion.

In 1841, Russia made another overture - to the Mexican government - to purchase land and was soundly denied. They sold their fort to John Sutter - a Swiss immigrant who had empire-building plans in the Sacramento Valley, and went home. Sutter never paid for his purchase. But that's another story.

THE STORY NOW is how to keep Fort Ross Historic State Park open. This has been only a partial list of good reasons. There's another that comes with a heavy dose of irony.

There is a public meeting next Saturday in San Francisco to make plans for the Fort Ross Bicentennial Celebration.

The fort will be 200 years old in 2012 - the first site to celebrate a bicentennial in this area, Joy is quick to add - and organizations involved are getting ready for the big event.

When I mentioned this to another state parks employee last week, she gave a hollow laugh and said, "Well, they can still celebrate, I guess."

But if the state carries out its plans to close 100 parks and Fort Ross stays on the hit list, we can celebrate, all right. But we might not be able to go in.


The Cultural Landscape of Fort Vancouver National Historic Site: Hudson's Bay Company, 1824-1846

This sketch, drawn by A.B. Roberts in the 1850s, shows the Fort Vancouver Village with the fort in the background.

Administrative and Political Context

Chartered by the British crown since 1670, the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) dominated the fur trade in Canada, and later the Western territories, for two hundred years. Based out of the Hudson Bay region, the English fur trade monopoly encompassed 1.5 million square miles of territory between Russian Alaska and Mexican California. To keep up with a growing fur market and the shrinking supply of beaver pelts, HBC extended their range to interior western lands. In 1821, HBC acquired four trading posts in the Columbia Basin region from their rival company North West Company when the two businesses merged: Fort George at the Columbia River mouth, Fort Nez Percé, Spokane House, and Kootenai House. As these depots were unprofitable, HBC directed George Simpson to survey the region and recommend a course of action. Simpson did so, and in late 1824 he selected Jolie Prairie at the current Vancouver National Historic Reserve area as the site for the new Fort Vancouver.

Simpson's choice of a site on the north side as opposed to the south side of the Columbia River was likely a political strategy to keep the territory north of the Columbia River under British rule. Although the British-American War of 1812 ended in 1814 with the Treaty of Ghent, the treaty did not resolve the disputed claims of Great Britain and the United States to the entire territory west of the Rocky Mountains. The principal disagreement centered on the location of the boundary between Canada and the United States. Great Britain proposed the boundary follow the 49th parallel from the Rockies westward until it intersected the Columbia River, then follow the river southwest to the Pacific Ocean. The United States wanted the boundary to continue along the 49th parallel until it met the ocean - the current boundary between Canada and the United States. The two countries suspended negotiations in summer 1824, leaving final settlement of the disputed land between the 49th parallel and the Columbia River unresolved. The Hudson's Bay Company's establishment of Fort Vancouver later that same year reinforced Great Britain's claim to the undecided territory.

Within a decade, Fort Vancouver became the HBC Columbia Department's main supply post and administrative headquarters and the center of all HBC activities west of the Rockies, including international trade. Simpson decided to develop a sizeable agricultural operation to both supply the fort's needs as well as to augment the company's profitable export business. He appointed John McLoughlin as Chief Factor to oversee the fort's operations, and for twenty years McLoughlin managed a vast trade enterprise that extended from Alaska and the Rockies to California and Hawaii. Fort Vancouver's economic, political, and social influence peaked in the years between 1829 and 1846 as the fort became the manufacturing and agricultural hub of the Pacific Northwest. Agricultural activity intensified while the fur trade declined, and early industrial operations developed at the HBC fort, including salmon fisheries, large-scale timber milling, and grain milling. During this period, Fort Vancouver welcomed numerous travelers, explorers, missionaries, and scientists, including renowned Scottish botanist David Douglas and botanist Dr. Thomas Nuttall.

Fort Vancouver was instrumental in American westward expansion by providing pioneers the necessary provisions to establish farms across the Pacific Northwest from Puget Sound to the Willamette Valley. Starting in 1842, pioneer emigrants flooded into the area on the Oregon Trail. This mass wave of American settlement dampened British hopes of establishing control over the lower Columbia Basin. Finally the 1846 Oregon Treaty settled the boundary dispute in the United States' favor and signaled the end of the HBC period.

Site Description

The place we have selected is beautiful as may be inferred from its Name and the Country so open that from the Establishment there is good traveling on Horseback to any part of the interior a Farm to any extent may be made there, the pasture is good and innumerable herds of Swine can fatten so as to be fit for the Knife merely on nutricious [كذا] Roots that are found here in any quantity and the Climate so fine that Indian Corn and other Grain cannot fail of thriving. The distance from the Harbour is the only inconvenience but that is of little importance being now a secondary establishment. at the Jolie Prairie or Belle vue Point where the New Fort is situated it may be from time to time enlarged without the trouble of felling a tree.

Simpson's description supports the assertion that the site had been modified by Native American land practices in a manner subsequently conducive to Euro-American settlement. His references to "good pasture" and "nutritious roots" (probably camas) suitable for pigs, combined with Alexander Henry's account of fire and subsequent grass growth on the site a decade earlier, are consistent with ethnohistorical and ethnobotanical accounts of prescribed burning. The site consisted of floodplain terraces stepping back from the Columbia River. According to Alexander Henry's 1814 observations and Simpson's 1824 reconnaissance, the land adjacent to the river was low and often under water (three miles long by three-quarter mile wide) the next terrace was high prairie ground rising up about thirty feet (two miles long by two miles wide) and dense coniferous forest rose sixty feet above it. Simpson also noted two lakes located in the center of the plain and occasionally inundated by spring floods.

Archaeological study has not yet uncovered the exact location of this first fort, however early maps show that it was in the vicinity of E Grand and E 6th Street. The fort was originally built on the upper plain of a bluff overlooking the lower plain this location was chosen due to its protected position and the company's concern over potential hostile relations with native peoples. Simpson related that "The Establishment is beautifully situated on the top of a bank about 1-1/4 Miles from the Water side commanding an extensive view of the River the surrounding Country and the fine plain below which is watered by two very pretty small Lakes and studded as if artificially by clumps of Fine Timber." The original site was abandoned when concerns about possible conflict proved unfounded, and the one-mile distance for obtaining water and shipping goods became too inconvenient. In the winter 1828-29, HBC officials moved the fort stockade within 400 yards of the river on the lower plain one-mile west of the fort's original location.

Fort Vancouver developed to its greatest extent by the 1840s. Hudson's Bay Company farmland comprised three large meadows, named Fort Plain, Lower Plain, and Mill Plain, nestled in a forest along the Columbia River. Fort Plain (alaëi'k-aë or turtle place) and Mill Plain (tij - no translation) were located on original prairies most likely maintained by lower Columbia tribes prior to HBC establishment. Additionally, there were five plains north and east of the three primary fort plains, typically called the "back plains," which intermittently supported crops. Dense coniferous forests defined the boundaries of the Fort Plain, and on the plain's northwest edge, a band of forest extended nearly to the river's edge.

Map showing the site as it appeared in the Hudson's Bay Company period, 1824 to 1846.

Landscape Characteristics

Natural Systems and Vegetation

The abundant availability of natural resources provided an optimal site for successful fur-trading and agricultural enterprise. The site's strategic location on the Columbia River and its surrounding natural resources were prime factors that attracted the Hudson's Bay Company. Key natural resources included the Columbia River and major streams for transportation a mild, maritime climate and good soils for farming large grasslands with livestock potential plenty of timber for building and open space in the midst of impenetrable forests to accommodate fort development.

Several people visited and documented the vegetation of Fort Vancouver in its early years. Early explorers observed the site's unique prairie-forest composition before and after the fort's construction. Pioneer settlers approvingly appraised prairies as useful places for livestock grazing and agriculture operations, while forests provided the necessary building materials.

George Simpson described the natural vegetation in the region west of the Cascade Range after his winter 1824-25 trip up the Columbia River to Jolie Prairie: "The banks of the Columbia on both sides from Capes Disappointment and Adams to the Cascade portage a distance of from 150 to 180 Miles are covered with a great variety of fine large timber, consisting of Pine of different kinds, of Cedar, Hemlock, Oak, Ask, Alder Maple and Poplar with many other kinds unknown to me."

After his 1825 visit, John Scouler wrote:

It is situated in the middle of a beautiful prairie, containing about 300 acres of excellent land, on which potatoes and other vegetables are cultivated while a large plain between the fort and river affords abundance of pasture to 120 horses, besides other cattle. The forests around the fort consists chiefly of Pinue balsamea & P. canandensis (trees since identified as Psuedotsuga douglasii و Picea sitchensis). Within a short distance of the fort I found several interesting plants, as Phalagium escluentum, Berberis nervosa, B. Aquifolium, Calypso borealis & أمبير Corallorhiza innata. The root of the Phalangium esculentem (bulb since identified as Camassia quamash or camas) is much used by the natives as a substitute for bread. They grow abundantly in the moist prairies, the flower is usually blue, but sometimes white flowers are found.

Extensive natural meadows and plains of deep fertile alluvial deposit are covered with a rich sward of grass and a profusion of flowering plants. my labour in the neighborhood of this place was well rewarded by Ribes sanguineum (currant), Berberis aquifolium (tall Oregon grape), Acer macrophyllum (bigleaf maple), Scilla esculenta (Camassia quamash, camas), Pyrola aphylla (leafless pyrola), Caprifolium cilosium (Lonicera cilosium, honeysuckle), and a multitude of other plants.

Spatial Organization

Land Use

Fort Vancouver was a full-scale manufacturing, agricultural, and trading center of the Pacific Northwest by 1846, and Simpson's vision of the HBC post as a regional and global trading center was realized. The Fort Plain lands functioned according to uses driven by this prominent industry the HBC environs were utilized for extensive agriculture, for industries related to the export trade business, and to meet the subsistence needs of the many residents. Residential areas, farm clusters, industrial areas, fields, pastures, and mills all developed to support this first large-scale Pacific Northwest trade post. As development proceeded, forests and prairies were cleared to make way for fields and farms.

The Columbia River was the primary transportation corridor that supported Fort Vancouver's trading and agricultural industries. Travel still occurred mainly by water during this period, and people and goods arrived and departed Fort Vancouver via boat. The waterfront was thus an active place, and an important nexus between the fort site and the river.

Circulation

Development of roads, paths, and water routes was largely driven by the fort's function as a fur-trading and agricultural post. Principal access to and from the site during this period was from the Columbia River. The Columbia River was the focal point of activity, and the primary transportation route for far-ranging trade and supply ships, as well as local travel. Hudson's Bay Company ships, London-based supply ships, and civilian and military trading ships traveled upriver from the Pacific Ocean. Verious river craft transported passengers and goods down river from The Dalles, while barges and boats brought passengers and goods from the Willamette River to the Columbia to the Company's wharf.

An 1825 map shows that the first road was constructed on a north-south axis from the Columbia River to the first fort site. This road allowed goods unloaded from ships at the waterfront to be transported up the bluff to the stockade's storehouses. Carting goods the nearly one-mile distance with wagons was an arduous process. The exact anchorage and staging area for the first fort is unknown, although a wharf was constructed southeast of the 1828-29 fort site within this time period.

Early maps illustrate conflicting information with respect to the road system development. An 1846 map by Richard Covington is fairly consistent with an 1844 map by Henry Peers, which shows the east-west Upper Mill Plain Road and the Lower Mill Plain Road, and a southeasterly road connecting the two mill plain roads. But these two maps differ from the 1845–46 Vavasour map in depicting the location of the southeasterly road in relation to the lower lakes. None of the 1840s maps indicate the connection between the Lower Mill Plain Road and the river.

This drawing is based on an 1846 map drawn by Richard Covington.

Buildings, Clusters, and Small-scale Features

Fort Vancouver was laid out in a series of clustered structures and features organized around the floodplain hydrology, topography, and vegetation patterns. Major clusters were arranged along the Columbia River and on naturally occurring open meadows these principal clusters consisted of Fort Plain, Lower Plain, Mill Plain, the sawmill, the gristmill, as well as the Back Plains prairie series located north and east of the fort. Agriculture fields were initially tilled into existing open prairies on alluvial soils, and barns and utility sheds were adjacent to fields. Mills operated on streams emptying into the Columbia River, while sheds and workers’ housing were located nearby. The upland forests provided crucial building materials.

The Fort Plain contained several clusters: the stockade the employee village surrounding gardens, fields, and orchards and the river front complex. The 1829 fort stockade was the center of the outfit with roads radiating out from the fort. The stockade cluster contained stores, warehouses, offices, and officer residences. Other structures and agricultural operations built up around the HBC fort: schools, stables, a cemetery, a church, garden, orchard, and cultivated fields.

A large, multi-cultural village (sometimes referred to as Kanaka Village or the Village) developed west of the fort and was comprised of several employee residences, some with enclosed gardens. Fort Vancouver attracted numerous people from distant places. American Indians from the east coast and Canada, native Hawaiians, French Canadians, English, Scots, and Metís came to Fort Vancouver, and created a very diverse community at Fort Vancouver’s employee village. South of the village was a cluster of structures arranged around a pond connected to the Columbia River these were predominantly utilitarian structures such as stables, cooper’s shop, saw, and tanning pits. The southern edge of this cluster included the salmon house (store) leading to a wharf, a warehouse, a hospital, and a salt house.


Was an adobe fort or a palisade fort more defensible? - تاريخ

On May 10, 1775, a motley force under Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold surprised and captured the neglected Fort Ticonderoga and its small garrison. Its cannon were dragged to Dorchester Heights outside of Boston, where they convinced the British to withdraw. An American force invaded Canada but was sent reeling after a failed assault of Quebec on the last day of the year. In 1776 a planned British invasion along Lake Champlain required the construction of a fleet. By the time it defeated an American fleet at Valcour Island, it was too late in the season to tackle the American army at Ticonderoga. But for 1777, another British invasion was planned, this time with 8,000 men under Sir John Burgoyne. Ticonderoga and Mount Independence across the lake were defended by 2,500 to 3,000 men under Gen Arthur St. Clair. St. Clair had only taken command on June 13th. The previous commander, Col Anthony Wayne, believed that the fort was entrely defensible and said as much to Wahington after he was transfered to his command. Commander of the Northern Army, Gen. Schyuler, felt very differently he felt he needed 10,000 men to properly man the defenses. St Clair said he had only 1,576 healthy soldiers the day that he took command, which rose by 500 at the end of the month. Exact numbers are unclear, but St Clair later stated that if his men manned all the defenses, they would be stretched so thin that they would be barely within shouting distance of each other. Further, British light troops and Indian allies so controlled the wilderness around the fort that the Americans could scarely send out patrols. So, when Burgoyne landed troops three miles to the north of either side of the lake, they were uncontested and undetected but for the sound of their fifes and drums.

On July 2nd, British forces reached Les Chutes, the water and portage connection with Lake George, cutting off potential American escape via Lake George.

The old French earthworks that the British had assaulted at such cost in the French and Indian War were put back into service. Quickly, however, they fell to the British - on July 2nd.


The reconstructed earthworks on the right side of the panorama works is one of the works that protected the lower, flatter ground north of the main fort. Another is near the parking area at the treeline on the left side of the panorama. The main road leads to the fort itself, which we will see next.


If the British managed to get through the earthworks, they would face the stone fort, a formidable fortification for such a sparsely populated area. The standard four sided square trace with four bastions was augmented by two outworks called demi-lunes, giving the defenses more depth, and a covered way for the infantry to defend was fronted by a wooden palisade.

Designed and built originally by the French, the fort was built at a narrow point along Lake Champlain where water from Lake George entered after passing waterfalls - so the most impressive defenses faced east and south. Across the entering waters from Lake George was Sugar Loaf Hill, now caleed Mount Defiance this was the weak point in the defenses. Montcalm himself had noted the fort's vulnerability to cannon from the hill.

Huts had been built nearby the stone fort to house the troops.


At the tip of the peninsula, connecting Ticonderoga with Mount Independence across the lake, there was an innovative floating bridge anchored by rock filled cassions. These cassions may have originally built on ice and allowed to sink with warmer weather. Just to the north a log and chain boom kept British boats at bay.


On July 4, 1777, a group of forty British troops and several Indian allies climbed Sugar Loaf Hill. The next day they were joined by Lt William Twiss, the chief engineer of Burgoyne's army acting now as an aide to General Phillips, Maj Griffith Williams commanding Burgoyne's artillery, and Brigadier Simon Fraser. A mile long road would have to cut, but 12 pounders could be brought to the hill where they would dominate Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence. Phillips, it is said, exclaimed, "Where a goat can go, a man can go, and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

An American staff officer had suggested to Gen Gates that a fort be built on Sugar Loaf Hill, but the advice was rejected. This staff officer, John Trumbull, along with Anthony Wayne and Benedict Arnold, studied the hill and concluded that cannon could be hauled to the top and fired into the fort. Building a fort there wasn't a simple matter, however, as there wasn't enough money or men to build and man a fort, and there was no good water supply.

The British party atop Sugar Loaf Hill had been spotted, and Indians had made campfires, demonstrating a larger presence. St Clair called a council of war. He had only 2.089 Continentals and 900 militia, and the British were preparing to open a devastating artillery crossfire on Ticonderoga, including from Sugar Loaf Hill. Meanwhile, the British/Hessian column on the east side of the lake was having difficulty crossing East Creek. The decision was unanimous - the army must evacuate stores by boat and retreat across the bridge toward the Hampshire Grants while there was still time. On July 6th, Burgoyne met with American deserters who said that the American army had evacuated. They had indeed evacuated, and in their haste and lack of planning, they left behind a wealth of stores and weapons. There is a story that two American soldiers were left at the Mount Independence side of the bridge to fire a cannon at the advancing British, but were found drunk this story has only one source, and an unreliable one at that. The bridge was cut by the retreating Americans, so when the British naval vessels breached the boom, they were free to continue south.

Skenesborough - now Whitehall

The naval part of the evacuation ended here at the south end of Lake Champlain on the afternoon of July 6th. Without even unloading the them, Col. Pierce Long burned and blew up the boats.

Today, the Champlain Canal connects Lake Champlain and the Hudson River.

What was the cause of the disaster at Ticonderoga? The American weakness in light troops meant that the defenders were kept in the dark about British movements. If Ticonderoga had been defended by a smaller force, and designed to be defended by a smaller force, a field army might have been able to contest the British advance and harass a British siege. But would a field army have been large enough to defeat Burgoyne? As it was, the American defenses required all of the troops available and more - not enough to occupy Mount Defiance and not even enough to defend existing fortifications. The effort was doomed to begin with, and the Americans were saved only by the failure of the British/Hessian column on the eastern side of the lake.

Informed of the fall of Ticonderoga, an elated King George exclaimed to his wife, "I have beat them!" On the American side, the news was a shock, and a rumor even circulated that Schyuler and St Clair had commited treason, paid for by silver bullets fired into the fort. St Clair, however, was found not guilty of charges against him in a court martial. The campaign was far from over, and the American army retreating east was still in danger. As the British pursued, a rear guard action at Hubbardton could decide the fate of the American Northern Army.


How fast could a group of slaves in rebellion build a palisade fort with a gate and flanking towers/ whats in it? [closed]

Want to improve this question? Update the question so it focuses on one problem only by editing this post.

I have a high fantasy story about a slave rebellion in an adjacent kingdom being backed by an empire who wishes to seize control over the kingdom. The deal is they'll help win the war and end the slave trade in the territory if they are given control over the kingdom.

I'm drawing on elements of the Roman slave rebellions in Sicily for some structure to the rebellion overall, but I am unsure about details of certain military actions. I have my slaves starting on a forest island off of the kingdom they were enslaved in. I figured if they were going to stay in this location and start formulating their rebellion they would need some sort of defensible position. I have them on a hilltop in a clearing they made after clearing the trees for lumber. I wanted to have palisade walls, a fortified gate and flanking towers, and possibly a secondary gate, because repetition was a big element of medieval defenses.

My question is first of all: Is this realistic, is this overkill/underkill? Then how long would this take to construct with approximately 100 people, half being in fine working condition? Then what would be inside of the palisade walls as far as living? Not everyone is a fighter, there are women and children and some elderly, and the weather and conditions are harsh in the area. Would it be entirely tent living and lean-tos worst case scenario, would their be some structures besides walls and towers?

My goal is to try and depict warfare accurately to the period so any advice here is appreciated! Just found this site, it's pretty neat and I figured I'd toss a question your way that I've been mulling on a bit.


Presidio Wall

This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agust n del Tucson. In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under the command of Lt. Col. Juan Bautista de Anza. The first fort, a crude wooden palisade, was replaced by adobe walls begun about 1778 and completed in 1783. For 80 years Presidial soldiers provided protection for San Xavier mission and for settlers who farmed the Santa Cruz valley.

Espa ol
Muralla Presidial
Esta l mina se ala la esquina del noroeste de la muralla de adobe rodeando el presidio espa ol de San Agust n del Tucs n. En 1776 el nuevo fuerte estaba guarnecido por unos setenta soldados de caballer a e indios exploradores, trasladados de Tubac bajo la comandancia de Juan Bautista de Anza. La primera palizada de le os fue reemplazada por una muralla de adobe, empezada en 1778 y terminada en 1783. Por ochenta a os los soldados del presidio proteg an la misi n de San Xavier y los agricultores del valle de la Santa Cruz.

Erected by Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.

Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles

&bull Hispanic Americans &bull Notable Places &bull Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.

موقع. 32° 13.451′ N, 110° 58.545′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Avenue and West Washington Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Avenue. المس للحصول على الخريطة. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. المس للحصول على الاتجاهات.

علامات أخرى قريبة. توجد ما لا يقل عن 8 علامات أخرى على مسافة قريبة من هذه العلامة. N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson (here, next to this marker) Mansions of Main Avenue (a few steps from this marker) Presidio San Agust n del Tucson (a few steps from this marker) Leonardo Romero House (within shouting distance of this marker) Hiram S. Stevens House (within shouting distance of this marker) Meyer Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line) La Casa Cordova (about 400 feet away) Main Gate (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.

Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the

List of site sources >>>


شاهد الفيديو: أهم 10 دول لديها أكبر عدد من الخيول في العالم من 1961 إلى 2017 (كانون الثاني 2022).